Chinawat is a partner specializing in tax law and corporate restructuring with over 20 years of experience covering complex M&A tax planning, estate tax planning, international tax planning, customs tax, blockchain, and ICO tax issues including tax controversies, litigation proceedings and general commercial law.
His representation extends from the largest Thai public companies to Fortune 500 multinationals having advised multiple clients on joint ventures between local and foreign companies. He has advised clients across a wide spectrum of industries, including manufacturing, logistics, telecommunications, trading, aviation, renewable energy, information technology, and e-commerce.
Publications and Presentations
- New SME turnover test now in effect: uncertainty looms for businesses calculating annual income, May 2012
- Corporate tax rate cut will affect small and medium enterprises differently than larger companies, May 2012
- Tax allowance for flood donations, October 2011
Awards and Rankings
- Band 2 in Tax by Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 – 2020
- Band 1 in Tax by Chambers Asia Pacific 2012
- Highly regarded in Tax Controversy by World Tax 2020
Education and Admission
- LL.M (Taxation), University of Washington, United States
- LL.B (Honors), Thammasat University
Significant transactions and projects in which Chinawat has been involved include:
Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures
- Representing Phelps Dodge International (Thailand) Limited, a leading wire and cable manufacturer with finest quality and world-class standard, for complete the backdoor listing with Siam Inter Multimedia Public Company Limited which has changed the company’s name of Stark Corporation Public Company Limited, a holding company that invest in electrical cable manufacturing and distribution business.
- Acting for Bank of Nova Scotia or Scotiabank, an international bank and a financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and Asia-Pacific, as one of the legal counsels in the acquisition of shares in Thanachart Bank Public Company Limited (TBank), Thailand’s sixth-largest bank by assets size and the country’s leading automobile lender.
- Representing Asian Honda Motor Company Limited, a Honda Regional Headquarters for coordinating and supporting Honda’s activities and operation in Asia and Oceania Regional, for a Tax Court Case with respect to the tax issues arising from the Entire Business Transfer Structure advised by an accounting firm. (500 Million Baht).
- Acting for the Government Provident Fund and Brunei Investment Agency (BIA), which is responsible for investment under the supervision of the Ministry of Finance of Brunei, as a legal adviser in the co-investment for the establishment of Thailand Prosperity Fund BIA and GPF jointly invested USD 500 million in the Stock Exchange of Thailand.
Taxation and Corporate Restructuring
- Advisor and legal counsel to mitigate the tax implications of restructuring of a major construction materials firm prior to IPO through spinning off business units. Total value THB 30 billion.
- Representing PTT Public Company regarding tax planning structure in the merger between its subsidiaries.
- Representing a reputable company for the excise tax dispute in the Tax Court on types of auto transport carrier whether the vehicle was considered pick-up trucks or passenger cars for excise tax purposes.
- Advising of a beverage company in various customs investigations on the classification issues and rule of origin issues (THB 200 million).
- Assisting various private companies on amalgamation with other limited companies and converting them into public company limited companies including advising on the regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) to prepare for initial public offerings on SET.