Troy Schooneman is a partner of Kudun and Partners and head of the firm’s International Practice Group. With a career spanning more than 25 years in Asia, Troy has extensive experience in acting as a trusted legal and business advisor to a broad spectrum of Thai and international clients on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investment and market entry strategies, private equity investments, joint ventures, project and corporate financings, real estate developments, energy projects, and general corporate matters.
- “Getting the job done: Outlook for Thailand M&A” – Asia Business Law Journal, 25 November 2019
- “Thailand’s New Debt Crowdfunding Regulations” – IFLR 1000 International Briefings, October/November 2019.
- “Thailand Beacons: Chinese Investors and Foreign Ownership Restrictions in Thailand” – Asia Business Law Journal, 11 September 2019
- Thailand Chapter for The Merger & Acquisitions Review, 8th Edition, Law Business Research, 2014.
- Thailand Chapter for The Merger & Acquisitions Review, 7th Edition, Law Business Research, 2013.
- “Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand – Business as Usual”, ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL, Volume 9, Issue 8, 2011.
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognized as one of Thailand’s Top 100 lawyers 2020 in the Asian Business Law Journal by Vantage Group
- Notable Practitioner – IFLR 1000 2019-2020
- “Leading Lawyer” in Banking and Finance, Projects and Energy by The Legal 500 AP 2009- 2014
- “Leading Lawyer” in Projects and Energy by The Legal 500 AP 2009- 2014
- “Praised for his in-depth knowledge and experience of pan-Asian markets”, The Legal 500 commentary, 2012
- “Respected for his expertise in corporate matters”, IFLR1000 commentary, 2014
Education and Admission
- LL.B., Monash University, 1989
- B.A. (Psychology), Monash University, 1989
- Senior Courts of England and Wales, 1999
- High Court of Hong Kong, 1997
- High Court of Australia, 1990
- Supreme Court of Victoria, 1990
Significant transactions and projects in which Troy has been involved include:
- Representing BJC International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berli Jucker Public Company Limited (BJC), in connection with its acquisition of a 65% shareholding in Phu Thai Group, Vietnam’s largest distribution and logistics conglomerate.
- Representing BJC International in connection with its acquisition of the “Family Mart” retail chain in Vietnam from Japan’s Family Mart Co., Ltd.
- Representing BJC and Owens-Illinois Inc., the world’s leading glass container manufacturer, in connection with the acquisition of Malaya Glass Company Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiaries in Thailand, Vietnam, and China.
- Representing Kuwait Petroleum International in connection with the sale of its “Q8” service stations in Thailand to Malaysia’s Petronas.
- Representing BJC in connection with its acquisition of Asia Books, the largest English language bookstore chain in South East Asia.
- Representing United States Import-Export Bank on the Creditors’ Committee in connection with the debt restructuring of Thai Petrochemical Public Company Limited (TPI) and, subsequently, in connection with a dispute with TPI’s former shareholders.
- Representing Westbrook Asia LLC in connection with its acquisition of a 40% shareholding in Amarin Plaza Public Company Limited.
- Representing Demeter Corporation Public Company Limited in connection with its joint venture with Yingli Green Energy for the construction and operation of a 300MW solar module manufacturing facility in Rayong Province, Thailand.
- Representing City Developments Limited, one of Singapore’s largest property developers, in connection with its acquisition of Exchange Tower, Bangkok.
- Representing BJC in connection with its acquisition of a 51% shareholding in Danone Dairy (Thailand) Limited from Danone SA.
- Representing Real Estate Asia Capital Partners L.P., a subsidiary of a U.S.-based investment fund, on its acquisition of the Jungceylon Project in Phuket, Thailand.
- Representing LaSalle Investment Management in connection with its acquisition and subsequent disposition of The Crown Plaza Resort & Spa in Phuket, Thailand.
- Representing Toshiba Corporation in the sale of several of its businesses in Thailand.