Somboon joined Kudun & Partners as a senior associate and became a partner in 2019. He is active in dispute resolution and litigation practice. He possesses extensive knowledge and skills in negotiation, commercial and business litigation, domestic and international arbitration, administrative law, insolvency & bankruptcy law. Somboon also has substantial experience in procurement, labour/employment law, insurance, IP and consumer protection. He regularly acts for major domestic and international clients as their trusted business advisor and he is highly sought-after for his in-depth legal knowledge and extensive litigation experience across a wide scope of industries.
Publications and Presentations
- Author of “Thailand: Sexual harassment in the workplace” published on Conventus Law.
Awards and Rankings
- Notable Practitioner in Dispute Resolution by Asialaw 2021
- Recommended Lawyer in Dispute Resolution by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Notable Practitioner by IFLR1000 2019 – 2020
- Recognized in Litigation by Client Choice Award 2019
Education and Admission
- LL.B, Thammasat University, Thailand
- B.B.A Major in Accounting, Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, Thailand
- Barrister-at-Law, the Thai Bar Association
- Member, the Lawyer Council of Thailand
A selection of matters in which Somboon has been involved include:
- Defending one of the eight subsidiaries of one of the largest wind farms in Southeast Asia with a total capacity of over 700MW and over 10 licenses from EGAT (Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand).
- Representing one of the oldest printing companies in Thailand in connection with its passport production bidding in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Representing one of the largest telecommunication companies in connection with the rights to broadcast a major sports event to its viewers under the Must Carry rules specified by the Office of National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).
- Representing one of the largest telephone voice and data communications services provider in successfully defending the client against one of Thailand’s leading cable satellite TV providers from copyright violation claims related to the English Premier League.
- Representing Chewathai Public Company Limited, a leading residential and real estate developer in Thailand as defendants in a land access dispute against its residents in the area.
- Representing a leading hotel group in a civil case against an international construction company for damages incurred in an amount over THB 3 billion (USD 97 million).
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Representing a total of 87 savings co-operatives consisting of state-owned enterprises, universities, corporations and hospitals, the largest group of creditors of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) in THAI’s business rehabilitation proceeding, holding an aggregate debt of THB 45.65 billion or approximately 65% of the airline’s debenture debts and 13% of the airline’s total debt.
- Representing AEC Securities PCL., Country Group Securities PCL., Srisawad Finance PCL. (BFIT), and Volvo Group (Thailand) Co., Ltd., creditors of THAI’s business rehabilitation proceeding in connection with their debt claims with THAI.
- Representing several high net worth individuals who are creditors of THAI’s business rehabilitation proceeding in connection with their debt claims with THAI.
Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT)
- Representing one of the leading telecommunications providers and its subsidiary in Thailand in defending the case, which includes a challenge on a request by the plaintiffs to apply class action procedure to this case concerning more than 41 million users in the amount totaling approximately THB 19 billion (USD 577.6 million).
- Representing Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS) on its claims against a former state enterprise of the Thai government.
- Representing a leading telecommunication company in relation to the contractual claim made by a former state enterprise of the Thai Government.
Oil & Gas
- Representing one of the largest national petroleum companies in connection with its investigation and litigation in relation to its palm-oil business totaling THB 22.5 billion (USD 727 million).
- Representing one of the largest oil and gas companies in the region for claim damages against its former employee due to business operation negligence in the amount of billions of THB.
- Representing one of the leading national petroleum companies in connection with several criminal allegations made by the National Anti-Corruption Committee.
- Representing a major independent oil and gas company in one of the largest environmental impact claims in southern Thailand to protect the client’s oil and gas exploration development and production concessions.
- Representing a high net worth individual client on their defense against criminal allegations related to fraudulent documents.
- Representing a high net worth individual client in its claim for a family heritage including business entities, which was not accorded to the client worth billions in THB.
- Representing a group of foreign directors of the Thai subsidiary of a Japanese plastic manufacturing group in defending criminal allegations made by its local business partner in Thai court.
- Representing an international truck manufacturer in several civil claims and criminal charges made by former senior management regarding unfair dismissal, defamation and perjury criminal offenses.